Today was a cold and rainy one. I decided to cook, but couldn’t find any recipes that suited me - so I came up with this one. I love how it turned out, hope someone else gives it a try!
Ingredients for Crust
- 2 3/4 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. vegetable bouillon base (I suggest organic “Better Than Buillon”)
- 1 1/4 c. corn meal (I used yellow)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper (coarsely ground)
Ingredients for Filling
- 2 med. sweet onions (I used Vidalia)
- 1/2 med. fennel bulb
- 1 small Yukon Gold potato
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine or butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp. veg. bouillon base
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegan cream cheese ( I prefer Tofutti’s Non-hydrogenated variety)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 5-6 marinated artichoke hearts
- sea salt to taste
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves
Preparation for Crust
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- In 2-quart saucepan bring water to boil. Whisk in bouillon and salt. Slowly whisk in corn meal. Bring heat down to “low” and cover, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Stir in pepper and remove from heat.
- Grease a 10-inch pie pan with olive oil. Press polenta mixture evenly into pan. Don’t forget to push some up the sides. You may want to oil your fingers for this.
- Place in middle rack of oven. Bake until set.
Preparation for Filling
- Dice potato and boil or microwave until soft. Drain.
- Prep onions by chopping off ends and cutting in half through the root. Make thin slices cutting end to end.
- Slice fennel with mandolin, or carefully cut thin slices with a knife.
- Coat large fry pan with oil on medium heat. Melt in vegan margarine.
- Add onions to oil mixtures, stir to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt and let cook with minimal stirring for 10-15 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown. Add fennel and continue cooking until fennel is tender and golden.
- Stir in potato, bouillon, black pepper and vegan cream cheese.
- Once “cheese” has melted evenly, add artichokes, lemon juice and herbs. Stir, adding sea salt to taste.
- Place filling evenly into crust.
- Bake until edges of crust are golden.
Really nice served with an arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette and white wine.